17 Sep Legal challenges of dealing with grey zones between tax avoidance and criminal behaviour
PROTAX is delighted to contribute to the conference “Dark grey zones between tax avoidance, tax evasion and money laundering” organised by the cluster EU project COFFERS on the 24th and 25th of September 2019 in Vienna, Austria.
The conference brings together tax and legal experts from various EU projects to explore the scale of tax avoidance, tax evasion and money laundering and identify potential solutions to reinstate unpaid taxes.
The conference also aims to investigate law enforcement challenges, using case studies from ‘dark zone’ cases where tax avoidance tips into criminal tax evasion.
PROTAX contributes with an expert panel discussing ‘Legal challenges of dealing with grey zones between tax avoidance and criminal behaviour’.
The panel includes:
- Chair: Umut Turksen, Coventry University, UK and PROTAX’s coordinator
- Moderator: Astrid Frohloff, TV Journalist
- Stefanie Öner, Judge, Austrian Ministry of Justice and PROTAX partner
- Franz Reger, Head of Department Fiscal Penal Law, Austrian Ministry of Finance and PROTAX partner
- Reinhard Kreissl, Director VICESSE and PROTAX partners
- Tarcisio Scicluna, Ministry of Finance Malta
PROTAX is a three-year project whose ultimate objective is to generate policy guidelines and toolkits to help EU tax authorities and law enforcement agencies prevent and prosecute tax crime. PROTAX will devote effort to facilitating increased harmonisation of definitions and treatment of tax crime and exploring the potential for information sharing across different European jurisdictions.
Contact us for more information on the project and further updates, sign up to our newsletter and follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn