05 Jul PROTAX CONFERENCE: enhancing the investigation, prosecution and prevention of tax crimes in the EU
PROTAX would like to invite you to the PROTAX conference on tax crime and the measures that can be taken to minimise it. The conference in Brussels 21 November 2019 is a follow-up to focus groups convened in 10 Member States earlier this year as part of the EU-funded PROTAX project.
The focus groups involved tax authorities, financial investigation units, accountants, tax lawyers, governmental authorities. They focused on:
- how tax crime is defined in each country (if it was defined)
- who investigated such crime
- who prosecuted it
- which crimes were the subject of FIU investigation
- the success rate
- the resources available to FIUs
- the challenges they face
- their recommendations for improving the success rate and for minimising such crime
Reports of the discussions were anonymised.
We will be preparing a briefing paper that summarises the key findings across all of the focus groups, which will serve as the basis for discussion at the conference. We particularly would like to see some recommendations emerge from the conference that can be delivered to the European Commission and other relevant stakeholders.
In addition to those who participated in the focus groups, the PROTAX consortium is inviting stakeholders including the following:
- Tax and law enforcement authorities (tax administrations, customs authorities, police economic crime units, public prosecutors, judiciary, ministries of justice; ministries of finance, etc.)
- Obliged entities from various sectors (e.g. accounting specialists, tax audit/advisory firms, tax lawyers, financial institutions, real estate agents, art dealers, industry associations, etc.)
- Policy-makers, regulators, inter-governmental organisations, and global movements.
The conference will take place in the EC Research Executive Agency offices in the Covent Garden building at Place Rogier in Brussels, just outside the Place Rogier metro station. The conference will start at 9.15 and finish at 17.00.